~*~

~*~

Friday, February 26, 2021

Introducing Two New Dragons!

A while ago I mentioned that I was finally creating a race of lightning people. 

And I mentioned very briefly that I was finally adding those extra two dragon species. I'd been putting these dragons off literally for years, mostly because I had no ideas for what they might look like. While designing the other species, I tried to cover every basic body design I've seen for a dragon (The idea is that the dragons in that world reflect the dragons in our mythology). But that meant that when I was done, I had no images for what any different dragons might look like. I didn't even think about it, beyond noticing an interesting shape for horns or ears or something. 

So, yeah. My resistance was strong.

But when I made the lightning people, I finally cracked. And once I made up my mind, the dragons pretty much designed themselves in a few hours. I kept getting ideas of what they'd look like. It was like a puzzle that built itself in my mind, and I wasn't even trying to find the pieces. It was miraculously automatic. The dragons just popped into existence. Even their names were so easy (The last couple years, I've spent a lot of time re-naming a bunch of things in my stories, which has usually been very complicated).

Now, here they are!

I introduce you to the Zephyr dragon - with wind magic

 The fronts of their wings are feathered, which helps them fly with very little sound. And their wings are covered with tiny scales, like those on butterfly wings. So they're often iridescent. And they commonly have complicated patterns on their wings. Because of this, they're sometimes called butterfly of fairy dragons. (I think I may have drawn this one with too short legs)

 


And the earth dragon - with rock magic


Their horns and back ridge and tail club all match - they look like crystal. They have short legs to fit through the tunnels they dig. And the backs of their wings have scales, which protects them when they squeeze through rock. This also means they aren't the best fliers. The scales on their back are far stronger than the leathery scales on their underside.


Actually, I already had an earth dragon. The previous earth dragon had both rock and metal magic. but that never sat right with me. When I designed the new dragon, he seemed more like a rock dragon than a metal dragon. So the original earth dragon is now the "iron dragon." And the guy up above is the dragon that has rock magic. 

Earth and iron dragons are closely related, and there is some hybridization. So you can get a few rare dragons with both rock and metal magic (Toph dragons!)

Storm dragons no longer have wind magic. They're pure lightning. 

 

I think I may tweak the features of the wood dragon too while I'm at it. I'm considering removing the feathers from their tail, since they have felt awkward to me in the past. 

(I already drew an earth dragon from Katani's story. But now he's an iron dragon. If I run into any problems with that, I'll cheat and say that he's a hybrid  XD )

No comments: