~*~

~*~

Saturday, September 26, 2026

This Year at Fanime

One of this year's guest speakers at Fanime was Hiroshi Nagahama. He worked on the Mushishi and Fruits Basket anime (the first one). As well as several others I haven't yet seen, like Utena, which I now need to watch. 

He had a presentation of storyboards from near the end of Fruits Basket, which was cool to see since parts of it were different from the final version. 

He also showed off some of his comic book collection. It was fun to see how excited he was about them. 

After his talk, I went up to tell him that Fruits Basket was my first manga, "so the anime holds a special place in my heart." It was cool to get to talk to him. 

(I had actually read Pokemon manga before that, but I didn't even know what manga was back then, so I don't count it XD )


Elsewhere in Fanime, they now have these "rallies." If you buy something from all involved artists, you get a special print. Which is so bizaare. You can't buy the print if you like it. You have to spend money at a bunch of other places first, for stuff you may or not care about. More ways to suck every coin out of people. 


They were playing Princess Mononoke on one of the big screens, so I went to watch that. I think one guy in the audience must have come in during the middle of the movie, and had not seen it before. Because when a couple people get limbs shot off during the final battle, he made shocked exclamations. I couldn't help laughing. If you'd only seen Ghibli movies like Totoro and Ponyo, it would be a shock. 

No comments: