~*~

~*~

Friday, September 27, 2024

I Hope I've Moved Past This Point

When I wrote the first draft of Katani's story, I didn't yet have any grasp of the culture he lived in. It took a long time, many drafts, and lots of research to go back and make the culture actually fit into the story (I haven't looked at his story in a long time though, so I'm not exactly sure how WELL it fits). 

It was a pain. It shouldn't have been a problem again. It wasn't really for Ashlyn's story, but  her culture is a lot closer to what I grew up with (with a few significant differences). 

Then it was a problem again. The first draft of Evva's story didn't really include any culture. I know nothing will be perfect in a first draft. But culture should at least have some role. It has such a huge impact on the characters and world. I'm hoping that I did a much better job working the culture into Evva's story. 

I only have one draft of Rinn's story so far (I've mostly been ignoring it because it's kind of a beast to work with, thanks to its insane timeline). But I think at that point I actually FINALLY started thinking the culture into the first draft. At least the basics of it. And some of my short stories I've written have been the same.

 Let's hope I've outgrown the point where I have to work culture into a totally culture-bare story @_@

Though I will always have to study those cultures. And hopefully find people who can help me see if I did them accurately. 


Giraffe seen from below

No comments: