~*~

~*~

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Speeching in the Desert

I've mentioned a few times that my dad used to volunteer at the bald eagle breeding program where I now work. I've also mentioned his documentary about the bald eagle Silver.
Silver ended up at the zoo after he was shot. This was when bald eagles were extremely rare because DDT was ruining all of their eggs. The zoo decided that they were going to try something new by strengthening Silver until he could be released. It took a few years. Dad was very involved in the project. And finally they were able to release Silver out in the Nevada desert, near Elko.
Ten months later, someone shot and killed Silver.

The Northeastern Nevada Museum in Elko got permission to display Silver and share his story.

That was 45 years ago.
And for the anniversary, they redid the whole Silver exhibit. They put Silver in a place of honor above the big animal hall. It comes with new signs and a touch screen with info about eagles and Silver in particular. It also has the two documentaries about Silver.

They had a big event for all of this. And they invited Dad to come in and take part.
I went along.
Dad did a speech about Silver and the danger eagles were facing. At the end I came up and talked a little. I told everyone that it was normal people who had noticed that eagles were disappearing. And I talked about the success story of the Mexican gray wolves.
It's my job to get people to care about animals, after all.

It was a good event. Dad loved every moment of it.
It's a great museum, and if you're ever in the area I definitely recommend you check it out. Dad's in several of the museum signs. Here's one of them (it's not super focused - sorry).



And after we had time to go look for some wild horses near Reno!
Look at this little cutie~

No comments: