~*~

~*~

Monday, February 28, 2022

Old Favorites

I've recently discovered that a lot of things I liked as a kid were actually really old (to varying degrees). 

For example, in middle school, everyone had these books of silly poems. Where the Sidewalk Ends, and Falling Up were the two main ones. I liked the poems, but I never got my own copy of the books. Where the Sidewalk Ends was written in the 70's. Yet it was still really popular. (Some of the poems would be frowned on these days XD But many of them are still brilliant). 

I checked them out from the library, and I think this may be the first time I've read through all of them.

 

I also had a beautiful book of flower fairies. They were poems accompanied by amazing illustrations of different types of fairies.  A few years ago, I found a compilation of all the books. And a couple years ago, I discovered that the flower fairies were actually created in the 20's. 


And finally, as a kid my Grandparents had a beautiful picture book of the Owl and the Pussycat. I found a copy online last year for nostalgia purposes, and I still love the illustrations.

Then a few weeks ago, I discovered that the poem was originally written in the 1860's. 


It's kind of comforting to find things that are so old and still so popular.

No comments: