~*~

~*~

Sunday, April 9, 2023

Music as its Own Story

The Fantasia movies don't get too much attention out of Disney films. But I always loved them. In high school, we got to play part of the Firebird Suite - my favorite Fantasia song. We were playing with an incredible professional band. It was awesome. 


And in this semester's band concert, we're going to play Rhapsody in Blue! The first time I heard Rhapsody in Blue was in Fantasia 2000. And I cannot hear this piece without playing the cartoon in my head. Even in rehearsals, I'll be thinking "this is the part with the pile driver," or "the little girl dropped her ball!" The professionals make it sound so easy, but now that I'm hearing someone practice it, I realize how hard the piano piece is.

So I had to watch this one again. It struck me all over - how the heck to people listen to music and come up with pictures like this? For all of the music I've played, unless it already goes with a movie or something, I never see anything. Which is fine. I love listening to and playing music. But it's still amazing people can make a song into a story.  


I also never write music. I made a couple stabs long ago, but most of them ended up stealing melodies or harmonies from other songs. Not all, but most. I've had a couple original melodies of my own. Well, maybe one that I think is actually nice. And I've written things that could potentially be song lyrics. But it never works to put them together. Maybe if I knew more about chords I could write music. But I don't really want to. I have to many other projects I care more about.

No comments: