~*~

~*~

Friday, February 9, 2024

Plots and Themes, Hand in Hand

I often have ideas for characters, themes, or concepts. But it's harder to find an overarching plot to set these ideas on. So many plots have been done to death. Or they're bland. Or don't really fit the characters or themes.

I've seen many movies and books like this. The new Disney movie Wish has an amazing premise. There's a kingdom where everyone gives their greatest wish to the king, with the chance that the wish will be granted. The catch is that they forget their wish. And yet the movie fell flat on its face for so many reasons. (Partially because it didn't really have any depth. The big central song said "I wish for more!" How vague and bland can you get?)

Then there's the Wax and Wayne series. I loved those books, because the characters were so great. But the plots for most of the books were pretty standard. "Find the magical artifact." Or, "find the weapon before it goes off." 

 

I've been trying to think of an overall plot for my Beauty and the Beast. Beast and Beauty need something to work together for, where Beast can prove himself. I thought about how nicely the Disney version does this. It got me thinking - some of the best plots reflect the themes and concepts through the story. Beauty and the Beast is about looking past appearances. You have this monster who seems like a beast. But if you want the real beast, you're looking in the wrong direction.

 

After many months, I think I finally have an overall plot for my Beauty and the Beast. I'd spent a long time thinking about it. And then the plot points dropped out of the sky. I was watching a Youtube video. Actually two videos, which I saw at different times and ended up being about the same subject: how much textiles pollute the water. It was only after I saw the second video that it started to process in my mind. That could be a good thing to echo the beauty and vanity parts of the story. Soon after I had this idea, I read an article in the Sierra Club Magazine. It was about American Indians trying to save two species of fish that are sacred to their people. Part of the problems these fish are facing is water pollution. That might tie in with some ideas I had for Beauty's arc. 

 

Sometimes, even if you spend months trying to think of a plot, you just have to wait until it falls in your lap.

No comments: