~*~

~*~

Thursday, August 8, 2024

It Seems Important

In my high school English class, we read a passage (I assume from a longer work). It talked about this guy, saying something like, "everyone seemed to like him. He'd bought a piano with the intent of learning to play," and so on. Then we were supposed to discuss that passage. And most of us were talking about this guy's apparent good qualities. 

I think it was one of my friends that came out and said that the guy wasn't actually that great. He bought a piano, expecting to learn it. And never did. And it's not that everyone liked him. It's that everyone SEEMED to like him. 

I think the teacher was thrilled that at least one student understood what was going on. 

The analysis of that massage made me rethink how important the word "seem" is. It packs a lot more power than I had realized.


Golden penciled Hamburg hen

No comments: