~*~

~*~

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Wanna Go Back

I want to go back to Japan.
Especially Nagasaki. For several reasons. It's not one of the huge tourist areas. And Ellen's apartment was in a great place - between the river and the beautiful mountain. And that great shopping street was right next to her building. And Iojima Island was soooo pretty. I want to go back and look for more beach glass. At a seashell store near here, they were selling unusually colored pieces of beach glass for really expensive. I should show them my collection of Japan beach glass. XD
And I miss how easy it is to get places in Japan. Japan's public transportation is sooo great.

So, I thought I'd discuss some of the unusual little things I noticed about Japan.
Just for fun. ^-^
Ellen, can you do one of these too? Since I'm sure you know dozens more little "oddities" about living in Japan.

The first day in Kyoto, I was walking around in a tank top. And I suddenly noticed that I saw NO bare shoulders anywhere. So I started looking around, seeing if anyone else was sleeveless. Then I saw someone without sleeves and went "Aha!" But it turned out that that person was a foreigner too. So, yeah. Apparently in Japan, people don't go sleeveless. Which I find odd, for a few reasons. First of all, it can be crazy hot there. And also, some anime girls are pretty scantily dressed... So cartoon girls can walk around in bikini tops and stuff, but real people don't even have bare shoulders.
Lots of cats. Wild cats, wandering around. Apparently people feed them all the time. Still, it seems like they should have some sort of spay+neuter program. All those cats are probably pretty bad for the songbirds. Most of the cats wouldn't let you get too close. But one guy with a bad eye wanted to snuggle for a while.
The wild animals were all pretty tame. Birds would just stand there as you walked up to them. Even bugs seemed pretty calm. I guess people in Japan don't chase wild animals or anything.
Oh, and they have these interesting cafés, that kind of work like vending machines. There's a little machine out front, and you pay and push the button of the meal you want. A little ticket comes out, so you hand it to the people in the café, and they give you your food.
And whenever you went to a place that sold noodles, you heard slurping. Slurping is polite. It's supposed to help you taste the noodles better. I tried to slurp. But I never did slurp as loudly as the people around me.
I started getting a little hand cramp after using chopsticks so often. >-< I've used chopsticks many times, but never as often all at once.

No comments: