~*~

~*~

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Mage Symbols

I brought a little sketchbook with me to Europe. Most of it relates to stories, so I'll be sharing them in later posts.
Some of the drawings are a project that I have been wanting to do for a cery long time. But I haven't known how.
The trip gave me the inspiration I needed. Literally.

On Magic-Earth, I have spent a long time thinking about identification for mages.
Master mages wear a hooded cloak. Apprentice mages wear a half-cloak.
But other people would wear cloaks too. Mages needed something to prove that they are official mages. Like a police badge.

For a while I toyed with a medallion, with a gem pendant hanging from it.
The medallion would be stamped with the symbol of the temple the mage belongs to. The pendant would be a stone. The type of the stone would represent the base of their magic, and it would be carved with another symbol.
But that was too awkward. Plus no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't think of unique and simple symbols to represent elements (like the symbols for the nations in Avatar: Last Airbender), or types of magic.

In Salamanca, at the university gift shop, I saw something that gave me the idea I needed to finally start creating the mage symbols.


They're symbols for the different fields of study at the university.
When I saw them, I dropped the idea of simple symbols for fields of magic. Instead I decided to go with more complex designs, relating only to the individual.
The design would be stamped or carved into a medallion. Color is important to the symbol too. I'm not sure how to incorporate that yet. I don't think the medallion would be painted. Enamel would probably be too fragile. Maybe they have some way to magically dye metal. Or more likely the medallion is made out of some other material. Possibly some sort of material that acts like a mixture of plastic, ceramic, or glass.
All valid questions I must think on.

I made the symbol for Evva, though I may tweak that. I'm plased with the symbol for her master though.
I made Fern's design too! I like how it turned out.
And there's one extra. I'm not sure who would have it. I just had an idea for a design. Heheh. Maybe some day I'll have a mage who will get that symbol. Or it might float free forever.

No comments: