~*~

~*~

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Stuff I Hate About Videogames

Fair warning, this is a video game vent.

As of yesterday, I'm done playing Final Fantasy Xii. '

More or less.
I don't think I'll play any more Final Fantasy games, unless there's one someone specifically recommends to me.
It was so freaking looong... And I didn't get anywhere close to finishing half of the side stuff.
They were obviously dragging it out as long as they could.
I haven't had too much gaming time recently, and I've been stuck in this game for about a year? Maybe more?

It had amazing scenery, and some really nice music though.
The characters were okay, though the plot was pretty typical.

There was a point in the latter half of the game where I was considering just watching the rest on youtube, because the boss fights were driving me crazy. I stopped the plot for a while and did a whole bunch of side stuff - leveling up and getting weapons and everything.
After that, the boss battles were almost easy most of the time.
And I enjoyed it quite a bit more after that.

Until the end of the game.
I couldn't find a single freaking save point for the whole endgame. I bet there isn't one.
Save points are frustrating at the best of times, though I suppose they're important for certain types of gameplay. But when they're really scarce, they're maddening.
And that freaking final battle was impossible! Even though all the battles leading up to it being no problem for me.
I hate it when the final battle is so terrible, even after that much leveling.
There were three separate occasions where I was down to one character, and I spent about a dozen or more moves reviving and healing, only to have the winged mutant KO the guy who had just done the reviving, so I'd be down to one character again. Twice I managed to pull out of it and attack again. The third time finally wiped me out.
And he has this freaking move which makes him invulnerable for what feels like five minutes.
I probably spent half an hour fighting his final form.

I spent so much time getting to this point in the game, and it doesn't feel like I got close to beating him.
After that, I had no desire to waste anymore time on that game.
I watched the ending on youtube.
I've done that a couple times before, when I got too angry at the end of a game.

Plus, Vaan is supposed to be the hero of the game. But he pretty much disappeared during the ending. Yeesh.

Sometimes long games are cool. But it's frustrating when they make them long just for the sake of being long. I felt like I could have completed two or three other games instead of this one. I don't want to sink so much of my time into a single game that feels like it's dragging on purpose.



And on another gaming note.
The Wii U came out just over 2 years ago, I think.
And I bought it, even though it was really expensive.
And they're already replacing it with something else?
Nintendo, you're a freaking jerk. There are barely a handful of Wii U games that I'm interested in, and it does not feel like it was worth my money...
I almost don't want to buy their new switch thing. It'll take a really fascinating game to make me cave...

No comments: