~*~

~*~

Friday, July 19, 2019

People have a lot of Character

When I start a new story, I sometimes get concerned that some of my characters are too similar to characters from my previous stories.
For example, in "Yuyu Hakusho" and "Hunter x Hunter" the four main characters are all mirror images of each other. Although considering I have a figure of Kurama on my printer, I guess that doesn't bother me too much)

(I took him outside for a photo shoot with the roses)

I know that I in particular have a handful of character types I seem to automatically draw from. I don't want characters of the same "type" to essentially become the same character.
In Arrin's story, there are three or four characters I'm specifically concerned about. But mostly two of them.
So I started making a list of all the different traits that could define them.
I have a couple books called "The Positive Train Thesaurus" and "The Negative Train Thesaurus." I went through and wrote down everything that seemed like it could fit them. And for each character, those words formed a solid chunk of paragraph. There were a lot of traits that could fit them.

People are complex and contradictory and amazing. And if you start listing out all of the little character features that define them, that complexity becomes pretty obvious.

No comments: