~*~

~*~

Friday, December 20, 2019

Moving an Entire School

Ever since I started writing my Magic-Earth stories in high school, the Mage Temple has been located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
There are many mage temples. They're the headquarters for all of the mages in a region. It's also where they teach magic to anyone with a decent amount of magic.

The Temple was in the Sierra Nevada mountains for a couple reasons. First of all, it's a beautiful mountain range that feels sort of magical. And second because it's out of the way, and wouldn't cause any trouble to towns nearby.
It was only a few weeks ago that I realized it was too out of the way.
Sure, they have magic. But it would still be a major pain to get supplies there. And especially to transport students and student families. It's not very difficult to transport a person. But if they had to transport all of their students home and back for holidays, that would be unnecessarily complicated.
And some of those students are pretty young. Wouldn't it be so nice for them to visit their homes on weekends?


And unlike Hogwarts, even a train wouldn't be practical to this magic school,since it's in a very mountainous area.
Sure trains go through the Sierras, but they need a perfect route to keep the right grade for the tracks.

So this all made me think that I had to move the Mage Temple, after many years and several stories.
I think I'll now have it at the base of Mount Diablo, in the California Bay Area. It's got some important cities nearby, and it still has an impressive mountain to guard over it.

The mountain will not have the same name. It will probably have one of the original American Indian names (I have to do more research about this - I've started gathering sources). I don't want that beautiful sentinel mountain named "Devil Mountain," which was apparently mistakenly named anyway. It deserves a far more respectful name. I'll also have to find a new name for the "Sierra Mage Temple" since it's no longer in the Sierras.
On Magic-Earth, the Bay Area (and the rest of the planet) is far less developed than our world is. Even if they're at the base of Mount Diablo, they'd have plenty of wild space around them so they wouldn't disturb nearby towns with their magic experiments. And this would make them more accessible for the public in case of emergency.

I may still have some sort of mage center up in the Sierras. But it would have to be something different. I don't know if it would work or not.

Well, better to figure this out now than later.

No comments: