~*~

~*~

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Water, Earth, Fire, Air

Last week I spent two straight hours coming up with new names for all of the Magic-Folk. Including the term "Magic Folk." So until further notice, the blanket term for all of these races will be Aevenn.
I came up with the original names (like Volkein, Aneem, Aquatica) back in high school. But as time passed, some of those names felt dumb. Like calling the people with plant magic "Dryads." There are actual dryad tree spirits in their world. It would be confusing to have dryad tree spirits, and Dryad humans with plant magic.
So this is a project that has been on my mind for a very long time. It feels great to finally have it done! (Though it may require some future tweaks)

There are eight races of Aevenn. But once I thought of a system for naming them, I did most of them in one night.
The one I had the most trouble with was the race which blends all of the powers (it's the same race Fern is). I figured that one out a day later.
I'll have to try these new names out for a while and see if they feel right. But so far, I really like most of them!
I had to rename the air people already, because their name was too similar to the name for the animal people.

For the name "Aevenn," I played with the word for their language. The main language on their planet is Venn. So I built on that and renamed the Magic-Folk "Aevenn."

The method I used for naming the individual races was easy once I knew what I wanted to do. Their world has different gods for the different elements. It would make sense for the Aevenn to consider their magic a blessing from the gods. So I used the name of each of their gods as a base. Though I also made sure to have some taste of their power in the word. Like playing off of the world "aquatic," for the water people.

I've always had both ice and water people. I think I'll keep them separate, but the two are closely related and have a lot of overlap between them.

(Just to clarify, there are mages who can doo all of this elemental stuff. But they don't qualify as Aevenn unless they inherit their magic from their race of people. Most magic is not really genetic.)

No comments: