~*~

~*~

Monday, February 8, 2021

George Takei: They Called us Enemy

 I just read a good graphic novel: George Takei: They Called us Enemy

I forget where I heard about it. By the time I get around to a book on my list, months (or longer) have passed since I wrote it down. By then I've forgotten entirely what it's about. And I never read the blurbs on a book, because I like to be surprised. So when I started reading this, I wasn't even sure if it was fiction or nonfiction (I once read half of a book thinking that the characters weren't real, only to discover I was wrong @_@ ). This one was nonfiction. 

I got the shivers when he talked about the bombing of Hiroshima. After visiting the museum and epicenter in Nagasaki, it's impossible not to.

(The sign shows this same landscape after the bomb fell)

Near the end of the book, I finally realized that this story was about Sulu, from Star Trek! And I flipped out a little (They'd actually mentioned Sulu earlier in the comic, but I wasn't sure how it fit into the context of the story). As I've mentioned many times before, I'm more likely to get excited about something when I'm familiar with one of the players. 

I've never actually watched the Star Trek series. But I love some of the movies. It was fascinating to learn about his story.

He has an awesome voice. He's done characters in Avatar: The Last Airbender and Mulan. He was even the dad of one of my favorite characters XD (Hiro Nakamura)

It says his name on the book, but I didn't know who it was. Which isn't unusual. There are a lot of very famous people who I have no idea what they look like. And on the flip side, there are plenty of actors I know, but don't know their names...

Anyway, the book was great. I definitely recommend it.


Part 2 of actors showing up in unexpected places. 

I was watching a documentary about the making of Frozen 2 (at that point, I had only seen the movie a couple times, and it wasn't recently). The voice actor for Lieutenant Mattias came on. Immediately I thought, "Gee, that sounds like Lio. Nah, that can't be right. I'm just making that up. No way, that has to be him!" And sure enough, it was the same voice actor. Why was I so surprised? Because I'd literally looked him up because I liked Lio so much. And my eyes must have just glazed over that Frozen 2 credit. 

Anyway, I had to immediately go back and watch Frozen 2.  That's my usual reaction when this sort of thing happens (like when I found out that Scarlemagne was Beast).

I liked Mattias the first time I saw the movie. One of the first comments I made when saw it with my friend (back when theaters were open @_@ ) was about his reaction to Olaf's Frozen summary. Olaf's skit is ridiculous, and would be hard to follow unless you'd seen the movie. And yet Mattias (and everyone else) seem to follow it and take it very seriously. His reactions in particular are  what the audience was supposed to feel while they were watching those parts of the movie. 


(And Yelana is kind of this foil in this scene. I love her reaction to the Hans reveal).

But if you look at this scene more seriously, Olaf's summary is the first news of home that Lieutenant Mattias has had in what, 30 years? He got stuck in this forest because he was protecting the prince. And he found out that the prince is gone when Olaf goes, "their parents are DEAD."

Kind or a tragic way for him to learn. We don't even get to see his reaction about that particular bit of information.

I started to get anxious when it looked like they'd make him an antagonist. But I was relieved when that didn't happen.

No comments: