~*~

~*~

Saturday, November 1, 2014

To Teach a Class

So, my class that I taught on Wednesday went well.
I've given plenty of presentations to my classmates, but this is the first time I gave an official talk to younger students.
Originally, I was told there would be 45 students, but there were apparently 10 more than that. They were in 7th and 8th grade.
They listened very well at first, to my intro, and when I read my story. They seemed to like my story, so that's good. But because I asked them a lot of questions, they'd chatter a lot during them and I'd need to quiet them down (For example, as I listed some environmental fiction, I mentioned Wall-E. Someone made a Wall-E noise, and I asked if anyone else could to it. That opened up a chorus of "Wall-E"'s, which was hard to quiet. That was the first and most interesting one XD). Which is to be expected, I'm sure. It was a long lesson, and they probably wanted to go do more stuff around the ranch.

As an activity, I asked them each to design a story, or part of a story.
Some of the ideas they shared were very cool. Others just came up to share to be weird, or to get attention. Again, that's to be expected. It was kinda funny though. I asked if they had any questions about the environment, and one girl asked if we could milk chickens. Leslie, the director of the ranch seemed pretty shocked about that, apparently thinking the girl's question was serious. It wasn't.
I tried to record the lesson, but I was dumb enough to leave my recorder on the picnic bench, so I probably got very little of my speech, and a lot of the kids talking and whispering. Heheh.
Robin took a lot of pictures for me. I haven't even looked at them yet, come to think of it...
Hopefully the kids had fun during some of it. I'd have liked to have kept it shorter, to fit their attention spans (the whole thing, with story, talk, activity, and sharing was pretty long). But partly my lesson needed to be a certain length, and a lot more people wanted to share. Which is great, but I think the sharing started making some of the others bored. XD
So, yaay~ That took a lot of planning, since I went so much earlier than the rest of my class. So it's nice to get that big project out of the way.

No comments: