~*~

~*~

Friday, February 20, 2015

Get to the Point

(Belated post @__@ )

I was at my aunt and uncle's house during the super bowl. Not because I wanted to watch sports, but because I was making mosaics with my aunt at the time.
Dad called me in because Idina Menzel was singing the national anthem, which was exciting. I do love her voice.
And she sang it well. But she stretched the song out longer than she needed to.
And I think that happens all the time when someone sings a national anthem at an event.
Probably because, a lot of the time, the singer knows they're in the spotlight, and they want to milk it for all it's worth. ^-^'

Now, in high school, our band had to play at a bunch of the football games (which is a big reason for my dislike of football). And our conductor told us, "don't play the anthem slow. Play it faster, and with energy, because people don't care about the anthem. They want to get to the game.
This could to relate to a lot of things, probably. like opening speeches, or introductions.
Though it's not universal. Sometimes you want the intro/song to last a long time, because it's so good.

And another thing, when you play something too slow, it looses its energy. This is another thing I've experienced in band. When you play a piece too slow, even by a little, it becomes more sluggish. But when you bring it up to tempo, it comes to life.
This is good to keep in mind about writing too. Get to the good stuff, and don't drag along.


And one slightly related note, because Idina Menzel links to Frozen.
In the last season of Once Upon a Time, I really loved Anna and Christophe. They were great. The both had lines that made me laugh out loud. Anna had a couple really great ones. I wonder if I can find them somewhere...
Well, no luck so far.
But the part where Anna is praising Elsa for tricking both her, and their aunt and says, "you did a great job! I was CRUSHED!"
And when she goes up to Hans and says "I sang with you!"
Aah, they did a great job. I liked Elsa, but Anna and Christophe were my favorites this time.

No comments: