~*~

~*~

Sunday, March 26, 2017

How can I be so old?

Today is my birthday.
Dad took me to see the live action Beauty and the Beast.
It's one of my three favorite Disney cartoons (musical ones), so I was hoping for this movie to be great, but I was also doubtful.
It was well made. It was very pretty to watch.
But it was pretty much exactly like the cartoon?
There wasn't any original spin on it. The scenes, the dialogue, the songs were almost all exactly the same as the cartoon.
For the new scenes they did add, it felt like they were shoved in there just to try to make you emotional. Which isn't necessarily bad, but it felt forced because they didn't change any of the rest of the movie.

I loved Maleficent because it was different. The creators did their own thing.
But this one wasn't new at all.

I am biased toward the old Beauty and the Beast. And I think I tend to lean toward animation.
Especially since the cartoon gave Beast the potential to be more animal-like than he was in the live action. His animated expressions seemed much more vivid to me (And the ending transformation scene of the cartoon is my favorite).


Whyyy didn't they give Beast his name in this version? It's Adam, right? Call him Adam! Belle was there for a week and she never learned his name?
And Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts and co don't really work as well in live action as they did as a cartoon. (Maan, I so did not catch that was Ewan McGregor @_@ )
I don't think anyone will ever beat the original Mrs. Potts. But I did like the design of Plumette.

Heheh. They addressed the random snowfalls that appeared in the cartoon.
But why did the wolves roar like lions? Those are not wolf sounds.

My dad loved it though. He likes it more than the original cartoon.

No comments: