~*~

~*~

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Book Update

It's been about a year since my last overview of what I've been reading.
So I'll get started on a new one.
As usual, I write individual posts about the books I want to talk about specifically. But I'll pick out some that are worth mentioning.

The Five Ancestors
I started reading this because it's set in China, and I thought it would be helpful to read in reference for Katani's story. Though there really isn't much Chinese culture in the books.
(I love the book covers though)


Legend of Sleepy Hollow + Rip Van Winkle
I've actually read these before, but it was a super long time ago.

The Wise Man's Fear + The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Yeahh, I've already written about these. Heheh.
I read The Slow Regard of Silent Things again. I really really like it. It might even be my favorite book. It's like poetry.
I can't wait for the last book to come out, and I really really hope that it ends well. I'm sure it will, but I've been disappointed before. TT^TT


The White Dragon
One of the Dragonriders of Pern books. I was told that it's not really worth reading anymore of the series beyond this point.
This series is one of the foundations of all dragon stories. Mostly stories where people cooperate with and ride dragons.
One of the short stories from this series got me hooked on dragons, back in middle school @_@
(The Smallest Dragonboy)

This Star Won't Go Out
If you follow the Vlogbrothers, you may have heard of Esther day: The day where you tell the people you care about that you love them. We don't do that enough in our lives.
This book is about the real girl who created Esther day. A teenage girl who died from cancer.
Needless to say, it's very touching.

Sandeagozu
This is the kind of book I would have been super into in middle school/early high school. It's about a group of animals, lead by a big beautiful python named Sherahi. They are traveling across the country to reach a paradise called Sandeagozu (say that word aloud and see if you can figure it out).
There was some good stuff in this book, especially about speciesism. I think it's worth reading for animal lovers.


The Foretelling
This book was a gift from a fellow horse-loving friend. It was a nice read, and I enjoyed it.

Myst: The Book of Atrus
I played a couple of these games back in middle school. So when I saw a book about them, I thought it would be interesting to check out.
Although when I finally read it, I remembered almost nothing about the games. Heh.

My Bonny Light Horseman + Rapture of the Deep
The next books in the Bloody Jack series. I'm continuing to enjoy this series, though some things are getting a bit repetitive.
It's always fascinating to see what angle they're going to use next.

Cirque Du Freak
I finally read the second and third books. Considering that they are pretty short, I'm going through this series very slowly XP
I think I like the manga better, actually. Heheh. Probably because I've gotten a lot more picky about the quality of the writing.

Extras
The final book from the Uglies series. It's a pretty good book, though I like the others better.

Sabriel
I mentioned this book earlier, but it was a good book. I just started the second book in the series.
It's about a girl who's job is to keep dead spirits from rising and attacking the living.


The Fifth Force
This was written by a friend of a friend.
Kind of a spiritual superpower thing. It's a cool combination. There's a second book that I've got sitting on my shelf ready to read.

The Dowry Bride
Someone recommended this because I asked for books about Indian culture.
It's a rather bleak and small picture of Indian culture, but it does bring to light ways in which women are basically property in a lot of the world.
The backstory of the villain was pretty disappointing.

Drowned Cities
I liked the first book (Ship Breaker). I didn't get into this one as much.
An environmental fiction that I read for my grad story.
I think now that I've read this author's adult books, I can't stand how bleak and violent he is.

Cinder
I quite liked this. It was a really cool take on the Cinderella story, and I loved how they incorporated all the interesting details of the story into their own world.
I read the second book, Scarlet. It was good, but I did like Cinder better. I'll keep reading the series though.


Hiroshima
Man, talk about intense. I couldn't stop thinking about my visit to the atomic bomb museum in Nagasaki.
This book has accounts from some survivors of the first atomic bomb that hit Hiroshima.
Again, super intense and scary.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
A novelization of the movie (The movie was based off of a comic series, so there's quite the chain of media going on with his one).
It's a typical novelization. If you've seen the movie, you'll know what the book's about.

Turning Point
The second book of Miyazaki's writing.
Man, this would have had some great stuff for my grad project. Hehe. It's got all the articles and speeches about Princess Mononoke.

Yeah, I'm Miyazaki obsessed. I think there will be a third of these books. I'm buying it whenever it comes into existence.

No comments: