~*~

~*~

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Revelation

I've gotten good at predicting what will happen when I'm reading or watching something.
I know other people who are good at it too.

I forget that plenty of other people aren't so good at it. Probably because they don't write stories, so they don't have that stuff ground into them.

The rest of this post has random spoilers from different movies/books. You are warned.

Might as well bring Coco back in.
when Miguel and Hector first teamed up, I knew immediately that Hector would end up being the ancestor.
Though some of my other predictions were wrong. Heh. For some reason I convinced myself that he would end up being De la Cruz? Which makes zero sense in hindsight.
I only know a couple other people who've seen Coco. But they were surprised about who Hector was. So I know it wasn't obvious.


It's exciting when I find a twist that thoroughly and skillfully fools me.
In one of the Da Vinci Code books - Called The Lost Symbol - there is a truly evil bad guy. I didn't really like the book because of him.
At the end of the book, they finally reveal who the villain is. I'm used to this series throwing you curve balls, so I was alert for them. But I did not figure out who this guy was until two seconds before they finally revealed it.
It was beautifully done.

The reveal at the end of Moana freaking blew me away.
Moana finally reaches the top of the mountain to return the heart to the goddess.
And then she turns around and sees the spiral symbol on the front of the lava monster.
Me: "OHHH MY GOOOOODDDD!"



Even better is when a storyteller drops strange little touches that make you feel like something is wrong. But you don't realize what's up until the end and you go "Aaaah, no wonder that felt so wrong!"

One of the most impressive cases I've seen is in the Movie Wreck-It-Ralph.
We go into the game Sugar Rush, and they're setting up the qualifying races. That's when they introduce King Candy.
Immediately, I thought that King Candy did not fit in that game's world. But I didn't really suspect anything, because I'm used to stories having their flaws.
That was no flaw. He did NOT belong in that game!
Amazing.

There was a little of that for me in Coco too.
At the beginning of the movie, they show the clip of De la Cruz singing that big extravaganza of Remember Me. I thought it was kind of dull. I didn't get why it was his best song.
But now it makes sense. That performance went entirely against the spirit of the song! It's not a song for the world. Just a song for a little girl.
TT^TT
It must tear Hector apart to hear that song thrown around all over the place.

Also, when Miguel is hanging out with De la Cruz, something else struck me as off. De la Cruz's alebrijes. They were so different than what I expected.
I mean look at Imelda's alebrije. Pepita is beautiful and big and powerful and can fly. And Imelda was a shoemaker. I expected someone as "big" as De la Cruz to had an alebrije more like Pepita. So those four tiny dogs threw me off.
But he would never deserve something like Pepita!
I want to punch his stupid face off, for what he did to Hector. >:/
He's got some serious problems. He could have let Hector go home. The two of them could still have worked together. Hector could mail him songs. They were still amigos after all. But no. He kills Hector. Plus he travels around with something poisonous in his luggage? And it takes him three seconds to decide to use that on his best friend.

No comments: