~*~

~*~

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Self-Reflection

I pulled out my old aikido textbook, and I've been reading through it.
And since I sometimes like to talk about thought processes here, I thought I'd mention this one.
It's a five-step process of self-reflection, for the spiritual aspects of aikido. The wording seems a bit dramatic, but it probably has a different feel in the original Japanese.

The five steps are:
Self Reflection, Shame, Remorse, Fear, and Enlightenment.


Self Reflection: Look at your own behavior and evaluate what you have done.

Shame: Be aware that you did something wrong.

Remorse: Look back at what brought you to this point and think what you could have done to make it better (so you can do that from now on).

Fear: Basically, "Why didn't I do this sooner? Do I have enough time to fix this?"

Enlightenment: The understanding you have gained from the previous steps.



(He's doing aikido rolls!)

No comments: