~*~

~*~

Thursday, October 31, 2019

Book Update

The Owl Who Liked Sitting on Caesar
At first I was afraid this was just going to be a guy gushing about his pet owl, but I learned a lot! He had some good owl information in here.

Mythology: Timeless Tales of the Gods and Heroes
This was more of a summary of all the Greek myths. But it's excellent reference material.


Doctor Who: Beautiful Chaos
I guess there are a bunch of Doctor Who novels. That shouldn't be a surprise to me, though I was excited to see a book with The Doctor and Donna on the cover. The way they wrote it got the tone and pacing spot on. It felt just like one of the episodes.


The Mists of Avalon
I liked the first part of it. But after a while it just kind of felt like a story where everyone wants to sleep with people they can't. And the characters were so bad about helping each other emotionally? Like Lancelot gives a rather terrified confession to Morgaine and she just sits there and doesn't do anything to comfort him.
And they had this annoying way of repeating the same facts several times. I heard you the first two times!

In the Shadow of Man
The first Jane Goodall book I've read. It was fantastic!

Not a Poster Child
I know the author of this book!
I already wrote a whole post about it. It's a good perspective to understand.

Three Kindgoms
Okay, it's embarrassing how long it took me to finish this. I mean to be fair it's a huge chunk of literature.
It's one of the old Chinese classics. And it's like three large novels, except it's all one thing.

The Shepherd's Crown
These are the first Diskworld books I've read. I finally finished the series. I need to read more of them (because my friend told me the others are better XD ).

The Quest
Tom Brown Jr is amazing. I'm actually trying to space out his books, because they're so powerful. I don't want to finish them all at once. I want to make it last XD

Digital Fortress
This is the first Dan Brown book I've read that wasn't part of the Da Vinci Code.
The characters are different, but the feel is very much the same.
Oh my god, his books are so stressful to read!

Many Waters
I actually read the rest of this series many years ago (It's from A Wrinkle in Time). This book got left out. I finally went back and read it. And I liked it a lot! I think it was the most calming story in this whole post.
In this book, some of the characters go back in time and help build Noah's Ark.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
I'd heard of this book for a long time. It was good. Though I couldn't help thinking that it was very much like Bloody Jack. Except this came out way before Bloody Jack XD

The Casual Vacancy
I read it because it was by the author of Harry Potter. But I didn't like it.
I didn't care about any of the characters. You have to feel sympathetic to some of them, but almost everyone was repelling.

Endangered
This one was pretty good. It's an environmental fiction about a girl in Africa trying to help wild apes. It feels very real.


X-Men
I found a trio of novels based off of the X-Men movies.
I have so far read the first two. They're not very good. The first book kept talking about how unbelievably hairy Wolverine was. The second one spent two entire pages, I kid you not, on Wolverine and Jean kissing. STOP!
You may recall that I love the movie X-Men 2. The book elaborated on a few of the scenes, which was cool. But yeah. The books were not very well written.


Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel
This book was awesome. All about animal behavior. It focused on wolves, elephants, and orcas. I thought the wolf section would be my favorite, but the orca section blew me out of the water. I learned a lot~

Zodiac
An environmental fiction book. I liked this more than the other book of his I read.

Whitethorn Woods
I've read other stuff by this author which I was not as excited about (they felt like they were 90% affairs). But I liked this one.

Kitchen Table Wisdom
I'm writing a whole blog post about this book. It was really good. It's written by a doctor about some of the perspectives and wisdom she's gained from the people she's worked with.

No comments: