~*~

~*~

Sunday, May 15, 2022

Alebrijes

 A couple weeks ago, I found a beautiful shop full of alebrijes. They're the statues that inspired the bright spirit creatures in Coco. I knew about them before the movie came out. My Grandma collected them for a while. So I was thrilled to stumble upon this shop (especially considering there was a Coco banner hanging in the corner).  


The shopkeeper started telling me some of the meanings of the animals. For example, the dog is loyalty (although dogs aren't as loyal s bees are to their colony). The opossum brought fire to humans. That's why they have no fur on their tails - it was scorched off. Even the paintings on the grasshopper's back have meaning - the flower, the leaves, and the little white dots that represent kernels of corn. 

I want to look up what all the different animals mean! But I can't find anything TT^TT

(I dragged a friend to see Coco in theaters with me. She recently went to Disneyland, and brought me a pair of Coco socks. I just happened to be wearing them that day, so I showed the shopkeeper)

No comments: