~*~

~*~

Thursday, May 12, 2022

Reading Update

 Mars, Bova

I've read a few of his books, and the last two I've read have just felt prejudiced. It makes them hard to read. And in this book, it took me a while to realize I was supposed to be rooting for the main character. I guess because he was just so hyper-focused on getting money? Some of his flaws kinda of straightened out by the end. Because he got a girl. I dunno. I've heard he's a really good sci-fi writer, but I'm not sure if this improves with his later books. When I read Jupiter, I don't remember as much of this. (That was long ago though)


Molokai, Brennert

I like books that teach you about history. This one taught about the Leper colony that was on Molokai. Even after we learned how the disease spreads and how to treat it, people are still scared of it. For example, when I was a little kid and my family went to Hawaii, I asked about going to Molokai. I was told we shouldn't go there because of the lepers. Yeesh. Anyway, this book showed you what they used to do to the poor people who got the disease. And it makes you are about it.


The Year of the Unicorn, Norton

I'll bet anything that I wrote this book down years ago because I thought it was about unicorns. It wasn't. But it was an interesting premise. 


Westward the Women, Ross

An old book of my Grandma's. It's a history of the first women pioneers. but what really got me was a little blurb in the front of the book. It said the book was printed by using as little paper as possible. They didn't want to waste paper, because it was printed during World War II.


The Black Company, Cook

There are a lot of stories with "the chosen one" who has to stop the bad guys. But this book looked that from an entirely different angle. I like it when stories do that.


Blade Runner, Dick

Jeez, talk about a frustrating ending. And I had so many questions about how the world got so messed up. Like how the androids could become so real. And why they would send only one guy to deal with such potentially dangerous things.


Tibet is my Country, Norbu

The story of the Dalai Lama's brother. It's an amazing account of how Tibet used to be. As well as how it was taken over.



The Bands of Mourning, Sanderson

Yeah, I already wrote a whole blog post about this @_@



Endangered, Giles

For some reason I thought this was about wildlife XD But it was about high school students, one of who has made it her mission to dig up dirt on the nastiest people in school. It doesn't turn out that great though.


Into the Wild, Krakauer

The true story of a boy who decided to go alone into the Alaskan wilderness. It's... depressing. 


If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, Calvino

This was kinda infuriating. It starts out by saying "at this point you should be thinking this. Then you'll feel that way." And I'm going, "I'm not thinking that at all." At one point he even scolds the reader for doing something, which irritated me even more because it was obviously geared toward a very different person. And yeah, I know I'm missing the point. But the way the book was written made me feel like I was eavesdropping or something.


Guardians of Ga'Hoole, Lasky

I'm not sure yet whether or not I like the series. It can be pretty hokey. But I like how they include real owl biology. 


Tree Girl, Barron

 First book I've read of his in a long time. I kind of gave up on his last books because the bullies were too irritating XD This book had a little of that, but not too bad.


The Good Dog, Avi

Heheh. Sometimes I don't really pay attention to the themes of the story because the set-up makes me cringe. Like people letting their dogs run wild all over town.

No comments: