~*~

~*~

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wolverine!!

Keeeyyyaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, so Hugh Jackman AKA Wolverine AKA Van Helsing (and yes, even Curly) is doing a series of performances nearby. He's probably my favorite actor. Mostly because when you watch the specials of the movies, you can tell that he's a really nice guy. And he's really funny.
So, I got a ticket to go and see the play today.
He came on state singing O What a Beautiful Mornin, which made me very excited. ^-^ Love that song.
It was mostly a one-man-show. There were a couple other people, inluding 2 ladies from Broadway who sang and danced a few pieces for him. And he introduced his trainer (who gets him in shape for playing Wolverine). And his trainer did some funny stuff too, like walking in and lifting Hugh up and carrying him off stage.
But it was mostly Hugh singing, dancing, and talking.
Actually, he's supposed to be shooting another Wolverine movie in Japan, but because of the tsunami, it got delayed. And that's why he's doing the show now. He's always wanted to do a one man show.
I still remember a few years ago when I happened to catch a glimpse of his version of Oklahoma on TV and I went O_O Wolverine sings????
He's really good though. He started off on Broadway before he did any movies. In fact, one of the stories he told was about how he got his first film role, in X-Men.
His wife was going to help him practice for the audition, so she read part of the script for him. It said "wolverine sniffs the air and 'snikt,' out come his claws " and stuff like that. She threw the program down and said "this is stupid! Don't do this!" He said it's the only time during thier marriage his wife's ever been wrong.
So, the audition was right when he was doing Oklahoma. So between performances, he ran out to do the audition. He still had Curly's hairdo. But he got a callback, saying he'd done great except for the western accent (which was no doubt related to him doing Oklahoma right before).
I wish I could tell it as funny as he did. He had everyone laughing the whole time. And he's an amazing singer and dancer.
He also talked about how he had to build up his body to do Wolverine. And he said that it's a combination of genetics and exercising (and something else which unfortunately I don't remember). And then he showed a picture of him as a scrawny kid and said that it obviously had nothing to do with genetics.
And he also talked about how his dad was always so supportive and came to see all his performances. One time his dad flew up from Australia and Hugh accidentally told him that the performance was a black tie event. When he found out that it wasn't, he called his dad right up. But when his dad came to pick him up, he was wearing a full tux. And Hugh said "I told you that this was a casual event." and his dad said "with my son on stage, it's always a black tie event." And the whole audience went "awwwww." And he said that throughout that whole performance, he could see his dad in his suit. And then he said that his Dad was actually in the audience. And so he spotlighted him (I couldn't see him from the balcony though).
He sang a lot of songs I didn't know, and danced a lot, and all of it was excellent. He talked about Australia (the place not the movie... well, both, actually). And I got to hear him sing Hard Day's Night and Can you Feel the Love Tonight.
^-^
And then near the end, I suddenly got very bold and hid my camera up my sleeve. Except it focused on the inside of my bag, not the stage... so just ignore the visual and listen to the audio. It's called "Once Before I Go" and I believe it's from the play called "The Boy From Oz. It was the last thing he did before he left.



And then everyone left the theatre. As we went outside, I noticed a small cluster of people. I wanted to ask what it was for, but Dad (he went too, and enjoyed it a lot) was hurrying back to the car to beat the traffic. I knew that clump of people was gonna bug me, cause I had a hunch what it was for. When we got to the parking lot, I said I wanted to go back and see what the line was for. So he said OK, and I went back and asked and they said that Hugh Jackman was gonna come through on the way to the hotel.
Now, Whenever I see fangirls on TV swarming and prowling like vultures, I always kinda think that it would be really uncomfortable for the person they're swarming. I'd never been in one before. So, what do I do? I climb on a ledge on the outside of the building and wait with everyone else. Everyone was excited and happy and outgoing with each other. I took some videos of it from my high perch over everyone's heads.
And eventually he comes out and everyone's excited and taking pictures and trying to get his autograph, and he walks past me and then moves away from me, and I jump off my ledge and get up close to him and hand him a short story that I'd printed out just for this occasion, and he takes it and autographs my program. And he speaks about four words to me: "Okay, right. Thank you." And he finally disappears into the hotel next door.
I kinda wanted to shake his hand or something. Some people were also taking pictures with him. I wonder if he'll read my thing.



No comments: