~*~

~*~

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pacing

I think I"m getting desensitized to some types of books. I've reading a lot of books like Hunger Games, Maximum Ride, and Keys to the Kingdom, which are all very fast-paced. So now when I get to a book that's of a much slower pace, I'm really slow in reading it.
There's this one series called Bloody Jack (weird name, I know). Mom's read all the books so far, I think. I've read the first two so far. Mom said that the books felt really fast-paced to her. Which surprised me because they feel really slow to me.
And I'm in the middle of The Three Musketeers right now. Although it's good, it's very wordy. Lots and lots of words. So I've only made a small dent in it. I started reading the 4th Twelve Kingdoms book, so I can alternate between the two. They're both pretty long, but Twelve Kingdoms is definitely going faster.
A lot of books today go a lot more towards action than the slower, more thoughtful things. Not saying that fast things can't be thoughtful too, but I'm not sure of a better way to say it.
Then again, I'm not very good at speed-reading. Even if I start to speed-read, I usually lapse back into slowness again. But I like reading slower. It lets me get sucked into the story better.

Finally went through the stack of stuff on my desk. It's been sitting there for a while, so was getting pretty big. Nice to have most of it filed away. Still a bunch of stuff from it I need to read, along with a few fat books from different colleges. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the master's thing. I've been putting off examining the programs from different colleges, since it seems like a complicated research project.
Ironically, apparently UC Santa Cruz has a program that might fit me perfectly. So if I do end up doing that program, I'll be starting it after Ellen leaves.
Sigh.

No comments: