~*~

~*~

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Split!

I think it's been at least two years that it's been sitting on my desk. Thought it might actually be closer to three years, come to think about it...
And I finally filed it away in with my old story stuff, so I don't have to stare at it anymore!
Now to explain what the hell I'm talking about.
A few years ago, I finished writing the first draft of the story, Shadow Split. This was the second of Briena's stories.
The thing was, all of it was hand-written.
And it's pretty bad too. But all that writing definitely gave me a lot of good practice.
I started typing it a little while after I finished. I got a big hunk of it done... two years ago. And then I limped along for a few more chapters. Then for a solid year and a half, it just sat on my desk, beneath my computer, usually with a bunch of other papers sitting on top of it.
And last night I finally told myself, "Forget it! This story is broken and bad anyway. What's the point of typing out what I have?"
I'm sure that some day I'll re-write some of Briena's stuff. But when I do, I'll probably change everything. When the time comes, I may reference my first draft for a couple things. But it's just a waste of time trying to work on that weird, random thing that lives in the red binder.
If I do rewrite Briena's story, I'll probably trash pretty much everything in the first two books anyway. It's her later stories that are more interesting. It'll take a lot of time to rebuild her. Since I've already done so much with her, it might be hard since that bad version of her is still in my mind.
I'll have to think about that some. Have some deep conversations with Briena.
Except I still haven't finished my application for the graduate program... So I haven't worked enough on Katani's story and my fanfic. Katani is my top story priority for the time.
But I've been drawing a bunch of character's from Katani's story! And I've got a much better image of some of them.
Young Tyra and Katani you've seen. And you've seen the one with Kazuhi and the (still nameless) lieutenant. I finished lineart for Tri and Selven a few days ago. And less than an hour ago I finished the lineart for Dominic and Nam. Next I have to do Saris and Samara. And then Kazuhi and Chao (and then all of the Green Team).
And I've thought of a bunch of things to change for the first three chapters. Though I might not go back to them for a while, since I've spent so much time staring at them recently.

No comments: