~*~

~*~

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Begging for a Program

So, tomorrow I meet with one of my teachers to see if I'll be able to get into a grad program (the ongoing battle to find one XP). This was actually my first idea - to stay at my school, and even stay in the environmental studies program. I already know the school, and I know many of the teachers pretty well already. And I like studying the environment. But if I were to do the grad envs program, I would want my thesis to be a novel, as opposed to a research paper. There is nothing I want to research enough to write a thesis about. The only thing I would ever want to write that is book-length is, well, a book.
Only thing is, they've never done this before. It's always been a science program, with a first-hand research paper as the thesis. So, I gave up after asking around last year. And now I'm picking it up again, since the other grad programs I've found fell through. Since I've got four teachers (and maybe more if I asked around) who said they like the idea, I may have a chance of getting somewhere (see, it pays to be on good terms with your teachers!).
The teacher I'm meeting with tomorrow is in charge of the grad program, and I know her pretty well. So, I'll bring the excerpt from the story I hope to write, and bring some points as to why I think this is a good idea (writing a book instead of a research paper). Hopefully I'll be prepared enough. I guess I should try to treat this as a professional interview. It helps that I already know the person, at least.
Cross your fingers for me!

No comments: