~*~

~*~

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Kyoto

So, finally have time to write more about Japan. Much, much going on. But it's all awesome!
Thanks to Ellen for letting me use her laptop for this, since she doesn't have wifi so I can't use Mom's ipad.
I had a bunch of ideas for what I wanted to do in Kyoto, and I knew there was no way I'd be able to do all of it in 4 days. So I just chose some stuff from my list and let my schedule be pretty flexible.
On my first full day in Kyoto (Saturday), I walked a LOT. I wonder how many miles I've walked so far... My feet are incredibly mad at me. Although it's not as bad now as it was, since I haven't climbed any mountains in the past couple days.
I ended up following this pretty shop-lined path up a mountain, where there were several temples, and an amazing view of Kyoto. I'd read about this place in one of my guidebooks, called Kiyomizu dera. But the book didn't make it sound interesting, so I wasn't planning to visit. But I'm definitely glad I did, since it was really fun. I drank water from the sacred well, and figured out how to pray at the shrines. I wanted to see if I could do the thing where you walk between two stones with your eyes closed... but I didn't know where the second stone was. I did go through the pitch black shrine though.
Later, I found a place that sold some nice pottery, and for a pretty low price. The shop was closed, but there were a few tables of cups and bowls outside, with a box that said "please pay." So that was cool. I guess you couldn't really do that around here. Sigh. Japanese people are so much more trustworthy, I guess. I picked out 3 ceramic teacups and dropped money in the box.
A Japanese man started a conversation with me, possibly to practice English (at least I've heard that they will sometimes talk to foreigners to practice English?).
I visited some of the oldest areas of Kyoto, and then ended up talking to a French guy I met on the street for almost an hour. He told me where to find fireflies. And he was very surprised when I told him I didn't drink. XD HE'd apparently never met an American that didn't drink.

On Sunday, I went to Kiyomizu-dera. There's a trail up the mountain, with Torii gates lining the entire thing. It was a beautiful walk, and there were some more good views of Kyoto. But you get pretty tired by the time you reach the top. I've never climbed an entire mountain by stairs before.
There were some cool shops near the entrance, and it was the first day I went crazy shopping. I got lots of good gifts for people, and for myself. And there was a place that sold yukatas and Japanese shirts for crazy cheap. The shirts were equivalent of $5 and the yukatas were $10. I got three things there, but now I kinda wish I got more. They would have been great gifts. I already gave one to Ellen, because she looked really good in it, and she liked it.
I realized that I'd never gone so long without seeing anyone I knew. Even if I'm away from home for a couple days, I'm with friends or family. And during school, I always see my parents and classmates. So it's definitely interesting.
Then I met Ellen at the station! It's been almost a year since I've seen her last, so that was exciting. We got to hang out in Kyoto for a couple more days before going down to Nagasaki.
We went to the Movie Village, and had trouble finding the bus back to the hotel. This old lady ended up giving us a ride to the subway station. When I said "hai," she looked really surprised that I knew even one word of Japanese. Her reaction was funny.
And that night, Ellen and I went firefly hunting. And we found some! I'd never seen them before, so I was very excited. :3 I got some pictures, but most of them look like green smudges.

Monday: It's fun trying so much different food. I think I'm eating too much junk food though. I blame Ellen. XP Although it's so tasty...
I didn't expect to find hole-in-the-floor toilets, but they do indeed exist in some places. They're not as nasty as some of the ones in China though.
When you sit on a Japanese toilet, it makes water sounds. This is because Japanese people get self conscious about bathroom sounds. Hmm.
We went to the Imperial palace, and the Golden Pavilion Temple. At the temple, I made an offering at a shrine, and a bunch of school boys applauded. And a group of school kids asked me some questions in English, for one of their classes. Ellen helped me translate. Since she doesn't look like a foreigner, she says this sort of stuff never happens to her (as in, people talking to me because I look different. Although there are quite a few tourists in Kyoto. Not nearly as many in Nagasaki).
We did a tea ceremony there too.

Tuesday: Ellen and I visited the Nijo Castle, and then we headed down to Nagasaki. We had to take separate trains though. At least we left and arrived at the same times, so we had no trouble finding each other.

Wednesday - today: At the museum in Nagasaki, there's an art exhibit of Yamamoto Mizo - an artist that has dome several of the backgrounds for Studio Ghibli movies, such as Castle in the Sky, and Princess Mononoke. I visited that and then went a couple of other places in Nagasaki while Ellen was at work.
They actually have loquats here! For sale all over the place! And there's loquat products, like ice cream (which was tasty). I've always thought that loquats were under appreciated. But not in Nagasaki! We got some to eat. They're so big here. Mmmmm.

No comments: