~*~

~*~

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Name-changing

Once I get a name in mind for a character, I don't like to change it. Especially when the names just feel right.
There have been a couple instances where I've written an entire draft, and then realized that I needed to change one of the character names. It may take me a while of mixing up the names. But I always get the new one in my head eventually, since it fits better. Like Youka.
And then there are times when I don't want to change the character name... but I kind of have to.
Like the other night. I randomly thought of something that made me realize that I needed to change the name of a character.
Evva (Evareen), from a story I have not yet written. Which is good, because I don't need to go back and change her name in stuff I've already written (except a pilot chapter). But I had already named most of the characters in that story, and been pretty satisfied with most of them. Like Evva's name. It felt right to me.
Except for one thing.
Evva has earth magic. Rocks, metal, and such (or maybe just rocks. I'm not sure yet). The problem is... in another book series, there's a girl named Evvy, who also has rock magic.
@!#$!@#
Damnit.
Looks like I need to find a new name for Evva. Maybe I can recycle her ex-name elsewhere.

No comments: