~*~

~*~

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hindsight of Annoyance

I remember a while ago during high school, I wrote a blog post about how much I hated analyzing literature in my english classes. I hated it with a passion, and even had one of my characters go on a rant about it (don't do that in your stories by the way. No reader wants to listen to you complain).
But now I find myself analyzing other stuff I read and watch, and actually find it rather fun sometimes. Now that I'm creating my own stories, it's interesting to notice how things are put together and how they link link to each other, ex.
I'm glad I learned how to do that.

I remember in my last year of high school, we were writing essays about some of what we read, and I heard a girl talking to my teacher about Metamorphosis, where they guy gets turned into a bug. I don't know what she wanted to ask him, but she was explaining how as a bug, he was so much trouble to his family, and that he deserved to die to get out of the way, basically.
I was shocked and said, "But he'd been providing for his family for years! And he wasn't in the way. He was just hiding under the bed, not really using any of their resources or anything."
I realized much later that those english classes taught me how to look in depth at things and find out answers for myself, instead of just blindly accepting whatever was fed to me.
Because people blindly accepting is how society is lead to do awful things. Especially since most people are followers.

So, in hindsight of those "acursed high school english classes," I definitely appreciate what they taught me.
And in hindsight, I also know why I hated them so much. It was because of the stuff that they made us read. I hated 90% of those books. And true, I'm much more tolerant of that kind of stuff now, but I still don't like most of them.
When we had to do analysis in college, I didn't hate the readings. I didn't necessarily love them, but at least I didn't loathe them. That, and the fact that we didn't do too much analysis, meant that college literature analysis didn't bother me at all.
So, for all you high school english teachers out there, if you have students who hate analyzing stuff, give them somethign fun to read or watch, like a cartoon, and get them to analyze that, because that can actually be fun. (I had fun analyzing Star Wars for an assignment. Heheh. Too bad that was our very last english assignment of high school.)

No comments: