~*~

~*~

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Beauty and the Beast

I've been watching through some of the Disney Movies recently, and picking out some animals to practice sketching. I want to practice poses and cartoonish stuff. I'm going in alphabetical order, to help me keep track, and I just did Beauty and the Beast.
So, Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney musicals (Along with Lion King and Pocahontas).
I never had a really strong reason as to why Beauty and the Beast was up there. Except that I knew I liked it. And unsurprisingly, I like Beast a lot. Animal people!! Aren't I predictable?

I wish he had an actual name though...
And it's always bugged me how all those happy people during the "Bonjour" song become so evil at the end...
And I just discovered! That big waltz scene during "Beauty and the Beast" isn't a waltz. Because the music isn't in 3/4 time. Therefore it's not a real walts. They seem to change dances a lot in movies. Like that fake tango you see all over.
Anyway, I was debating about whether or not to do a sketch of Beast, since he's less an animal and more a person, so I figured I'd do a bigger drawing of him eventually.
But I wasn't sure if I would do that bigger drawing, so I decided to do a quick sketch (although now I think maybe I should do a bigger drawing...).
It was hard finding a pose I wanted to draw him in, and I kept going over a couple scenes in slow mo to find a shot I liked. For example, the scene where he's waiting for Belle to come to dinner, and she doesn't so he gets mad and charges upstairs.
And I really started noticing the animation of how he moved. Aaaah! he's such a dog! It's awesome! I never noticed the animation of that scene before, until I went slowly. And I'm also probably desensitized to it since I've seen it so many times.
So, now for some reason I like Beast even more.
And I realized that I would probably make a very horrible "Belle" roll. For one good point, he probably wouldn't scare me with all his roaring. But I wouldn't want him to change back into a human (although I love that transformation scene). Although I guess that' not entirely true. I'd want him to change back into a human if he really wanted to. XP I'm so weird, getting sad because he loses his fur and his tail.
When I was little, was always a bit weirded out by his human form. I like it more now though.

Actually, I've been developing my own version of Beauty and the Beast. Until recently I only had a vague idea of it. But I got some more ideas recently.
I want to go more of the Frozen/Maleficent/Once Upon a Time Route, regarding the "love breaks a curse." It's not romantic love that breaks the curse. Except I probably won't make it as sweet as the aforementioned movies. Because the "Beast" will probably really be in love with the girl. But the girl just loves this beast that she's been with for a while, who watches over her. Poor Beast.
I would say that I don't have very happy romances (Especially with my star character), except I've had this scene in my head for a few days now - where Kazuhi proposes to Fei Yen. I really need to write that. If I pull it off, it will be the only decent romantic thing I've ever written. XP

No comments: