~*~

~*~

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Leeching Ideas

I'm currently reading a book called Sabriel. It's a fantasy about a girl called Sabriel, who is something like a necromancer. It's her job to keep the dead under control.
I'm almost finished with the book, and it's pretty good. It's the first in a trilogy, so we'll see how it goes.



This book got me thinking though. How would necromancy work in my world? Would the spirits of evil dead things be able to return to life?
As I read Sabriel, I keep thinking that the way the dead work is definitely not how it would work in my world.
Which is wonderful. It shouldn't be the same.

Because I've already put so much work in the "mythology" of my worlds, it was really easy for me to fill in the area around dead spirits.
The people in Magic-Earth and Soreina are at very low risk from the dead, thanks to the gods. Especially compared to the world of Sabriel.
Anyway, I won't write it all out here, since it involves a lot of the information surrounding gods and spirits and demons.

It's exciting to fill in gaps like this.
Hey, that's part of what reading is for! To help you hone your own craft. Without outright stealing, of course. Although you can snag ideas here and there (yes, everyone does it. It's impossible not to, even by accident).

I'm still working on filling out the guides for my two worlds. The writing is slow going, but I keep stockpiling notes for different areas.
It's probably something that I will never finish, because I will always have new ideas. But each bit I write lets me get deeper into my world.
For now, I'll just aim to get caught up on all of my current notes.

No comments: