~*~

~*~

Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Dangers of Finishing Early

So, my speech is coming up next week.
I've been working on it a lot, writing out my whole talk and timing it so I won't run over the limit.
I started with my graduate talk, and I've been cutting out more and more of it to make it fit in the timeline.
Last night I finally printed out my speech since it felt pretty close.

Today I got some feedback from the committee. And I learned that I'll have to rewrite a lot of my speech.
Oops.
That's what I get for trying to finalize something before I have final approval.

It's like if I were writing my speech on the color purple. Purple has two parts: red and blue. My speech focuses on the blue. But they want me to push my focus to the red side.
I've spent all evening rewriting it. It's not too hard, since I still have all the "red" information on my thesis talk notes. But I do have to reorganize everything, and take out big hunks of "blue" information. And of course I'll have to make sure that it's not too long, so I'll have to time it at least a couple times.

No comments: