~*~

~*~

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Off-Color

Actually, I haven't gotten into any Steven Universe episodes this year. The last one I really enjoyed was with Pearl and the mystery girl (although I did love the scene where Ruby and Sapphire meet baby Steven. You just know that's the first time Ruby and Sapphire have split up in years, and they make the baby cry. "Waaah! Garnet broke in half!").

But last night I watched the new episodes.

I've never had much of an opinion about Lars. There's obviously a cool guy somewhere in there. But that side of him is so rare that I always wondered why Steven hangs around him. Even Steven calls him a jerk.
Plus a couple episodes ago, he totally abandons Sadie when she's calling for help. Low.

Potential spoilers, mostly for the Off Colors episode. But I'll be as vague as possible.

I was surprised to find that Lars had been dragged along with Steven. It meant that he was going to be important.
And then he gets that surge of confidence in the kindergarten. Man, he is awesome in that fight.


And then was the scene that stuck in my head.
The robot explodes, and Lars crashes and falls. Like a rag doll.
It's not even the crying scene afterwords that gets to me. Just the crash and the fall.
He always looked kinda fragile, like a toothpick. I guess this scene proved it.

A while ago, I wrote a post about moments like these that catch in my head.
It happens when there's a character that is always strong and unflappable. And that character falls.
I never thought that Lars would fit in that category. He certainly likes to act like he's above everything, but he's nothing like the other characters.

Basically, I was shocked, both by the scene and by my reaction to it.

Scenes like this have only gotten to me a handful of times. There hasn't been one in a few years. I think the closest it has happened at all recently was in Tiger and Bunny. When Tiger gets beat up by Jake and rushed to the hospital. But that part is so brief that it didn't hit me as much as the others.

But man, what's going to happen to Lars now? I'm assuming he'll get home again. So how is this going to affect the rest of his life?
I doubt Sadie will be bothered by his new look. But she might be... unhappy about Lars abandoning her.

I wonder what happened to Lion too. I bet at this point, most people have stopped wondering why he's pink. I wonder how old he is. Is he from just before Steven was born, or is he super old? Maybe he's the lion from the Buddy Budwick diary episode.


Yeah, I never would have thought I'd get so fascinated about Lars.
Well played.


Also, random comments about nothing in particular.
I freaked out when I saw Paul McCartney in the new Pirates of the Caribbean.
And why does every other episode of one Punch Man end up with naked guys fighting?

Now off to work on some sticky bits of writing stuff @_@

No comments: