~*~

~*~

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Week One

So, I'm through my first week at the zoo~
I don't think I've really processed that I'm actually working there? And this job was pretty much made for me @_@ The only thing missing is that I don't get to do hands-on stuff with the animals (though I'll see if I can do something about that XD).

Everything looks awesome. Except I need to know everything about the zoo, and all of the animals in it. I knew some beforehand. But I have so much to learn. I've been spending every evening looking up new info on at least a couple different animals. I need to be able to answer any questions people might have.
I'm always finding stuff to study anyway, but now that amount feels kind of overwhelming, and I'll have to do this for a while. It's hardest to keep the numbers straight. How much the animals weigh, how much they're fed, how old they can live, ex.
Plus this gives me less time to study for my stories. And I've barely had any writing time this week. Just a few paragraphs (or a few lines) a day. Not enough to get absorbed into it. But I'll get more done on my days off.

It's awesome getting to talk to people and kids about animals. And watch animals.

When I started on Wednesday, I was stunned to learn that the zoo recently got wolves. Three Mexican Gray wolves.
I have never seen a full-blooded wolf. I've always wanted to see one, but I figured I'd have to visit Yellowstone or something.
But here they were. Three beautiful Mexican gray wolves.
Since I'm still in Coco mania, the fact that they're Mexican makes me very happy. I knew they had wolves in the south, but I didn't know they were a separate species.
They're a small wolf. And they're the most endangered of the wolves. At one point, there were only 7 left. Now there are about 300 (100 in the wild). Better, but still not great.

Edit: here's a (bad) picture of one of them.


So, Mexican gray wolves are now my favorite wolf~

We also have a pair of snow leopards! I keep calling them clouded leopards, and confusing the hell out of people @_@
Stop it, Tara!
Edit: here's a photo of the female being adorable



Heeey, I just watched Coco win the Oscars for best animated picture and best song!
I'm so weird. I wanted to go up and hug all of them.

No comments: