~*~

~*~

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Respect to Grandfather

Oof, here's another thing I hadn't thought about beforehand.
In my world, American Indian tribes haven't been crushed like they have here. They are still alive and well, and most of them still live in traditional, or at least mostly traditional ways. Though just like in our world, some of them will live in cities and do more modern stuff as well.
(One of the main differences is that the more violent traditions are no longer practiced. They've sort of morphed into "sports" instead of warfare. An outlet for much of the same emotion, without the outright violence).

A shaman has a brief appearance in Arrin's story. And from the many books I've read, I know the sort of respect these wise men were offered.
Now I just have to figure out how to portray that respect. Especially since we haven't actually met him yet. So far his only appearance is people talking about him.
Some American Indians would refer to their elders as "Grandfather." It's a term of respect, used whether or not they were related to the person. But if I use the term "Grandfather, I feel like I'd have to explain that he's not actually their grandfather.

Aaah all the crazy little details!
I'm always so paranoid about portraying cultures correctly. TT^TT

No comments: