~*~

~*~

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Birds

I'm having too much fun with birds in Arrin's story.
First I have a character-Ana- with wings of a white-tailed kits. She even hovers like a kite.

And for a while, I've been thinking about giving some character from some story a tiny flock of swifts. Swifts fly beautifully. And we had a nest of them at the wildlife center one year. They're cliff-nesting birds, so they hang off of vertical surfaces. To feed the baby swifts, we'd take them out and hook them on our shirts. They'd hang there like a row of feathery badges while we fed them.
Ever since, I've wanted to have them in a story.
Plus a couple months ago, some white-throated swifts flew overhead at the zoo. It's so nice watching them move.

It occurred to me that I could slip some of these birds in Arrin's story. But then I thought it might not fit. Then I said to myself, "well, would Ana have five swifts?" And I told myself, "yes. She definitely would."
So now I get five little swifts to write about. They'll just be a minor role. Ana isn't even there for about half of the story. But I think the swifts will serve a purpose. They're not just decorations.


Mom and son playing

No comments: