~*~

~*~

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Coco Tales

First of all, I'm a total nerd, and have a Coco lunchbox that I bring to work every day. 

 

I was helping at the zoo summer  camp again this year. In one of my camp groups, the kids were 5 years old. One day a couple of them asked about my lunchbox. So I pointed to the characters and introduced them (I gave them some major spoilers, which I felt guilty about XD ). Then more kids began to gather, until I was surrounded by a circle of six or seven kids, all listening to me talk about Coco and Dia de los Muertos. A couple of them had seen the movie, but most hadn't. I showed them pictures of real Dia de los Muertos celebrations, as well as pictures of the movie characters. I also played them the video of Poco Loco. I talked about the movie without using words like "this is where dead people live," but instead "this is where your ancestors live.Trying to make it a kid-friendly talk about ghosts XD 

 It was adorable. I wish I had a video of it. A couple of the girls kept returning and asking me to tell them about the movie.

(Also, I overheard one of the teachers telling the movie "Frozen" as if it were a storybook. I was impressed. Maybe she'd practiced it before, but the kids were entranced.) 

Also, this is hilarious. When I was with this same group of kids - the youngest - they would beg to hold my hand. To the point were I would sometimes be holding 2 hands in one of mine. Then my next group was the older kids - about 9 years old. And I had to "threaten" a couple of them by saying I'd hold their hand if they didn't behave. So, holding my hand went from being a reward to a punishment. Heheh.

No comments: