~*~

~*~

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Finding the Fitting Movies

So, yeah. Lately I've been analyzing cartoons when I'm hammered by stress. At first I didn't realize that's what was happening. But the movies/shows I analyze often echo the things that were making me stressed. 

 

Coco: 

It was little harder to figure out how Coco echoed my emotions, since it was the first time I'd analyzed a cartoon in this way. I wasn't noticing the parallels. I'm also madly in love with this movie, which meant I was kind of blinded about that. But I think the main link between this movie and what I was feeling was Hector. Banished by those he loved, like he was trash. Being slowly forgotten. It was several months after a best friend of 15 years basically shredded me and dumped me in the gutter, but I was still feeling it acutely at that point. So Hector's plight struck me even harder than it otherwise might have. 


(I'm going to slip this one in here, even though I only really analyzed one scene, but Steven Universe: The Movie was the same thing. The way Spinel felt was so much like what I'd felt. We were just some toy they'd thrown out when they outgrew us.) 


Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts: 

I came across this show soon after the start of Covid. The fact that Kipo was thrown into this bizarre dangerous world felt pretty similar to us getting stuck in the bizarre pandemic world. 


Wolfwalkers: 

I had actually seen this movie before. But when I watched it again later, there was a scene that resonated with what I was going through. People who I'd worked with closely for four years suddenly started treating me like garbage. I still don't know why. Going to work was stressful. And seeing Robin stuck working in that awful scullery pretty much echoed how I felt. Plus Wolfwalkers is just a stunning movie, so that made it easy to analyze. 


Beauty and the beast: 
Unlike the rest of the content on this list, I grew up with Beauty and the Beast. But I happened to rewatch it at another stressful time. The work situation seemed to have resolved for several months. And then it flared up again. I found some peace with Belle - an outsider in her town, and a bookworm like me. Plus Beast in the new version of the movie was in another show from this list. So that made for a fun little parallel. 


These have all been within the last 5 years. On the bright side, each one has been less intense than the one before it. 
Maybe they'll stop for now. 

No comments: