~*~

~*~

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Howl's Moving Castle

Aaand, I've seen one more Ghibli movie on the big screen!

Howl's Moving Castle. This was actually the very first Ghibli I ever saw on the big screen. But that was many years ago. Howl is so detailed that I was eager to see it again. And I still feel there's a lot I missed. I went with my parents. We've seen it many times, and we all love it. But we were blown away all over again.  

The ending is rather odd, with the identity of a certain scare crow and an abrupt end to the war. And it's always kind of felt like Sophie is telling you to run away from your problems instead of standing to fight? And it used to rub me the wrong way that she started kissing everyone at the end of the movie. But I don't really care that much about these complaints. The rest of the movie is just so stunning and entertaining that it's always been one of my favorite films.

One thing that struck me anew was Howl. I always liked him. It's hilarious that he seems so cool and smooth at first. And then he pitches a fit like a little kid. But as Calcifer says later on, Howl still has the heart of a child. And his animation is so beautiful. The way his hair movies, his clothes, even the monster and bird forms. I've always known that. But seeing it in so much detail is a whole different story. 




The bacon and eggs scene always makes me hungry. And I almost never like bacon. Miyazaki's food animation is unbelievably mouth-watering. 


I tried reading the book, because I loved the movie so much. They were quite different. In the book. they kill the Witch of the Waste, and that breaks Sophie's curse. Miyazaki has them befriend the Witch of the Waste. Because human evil is never so simple. And Sophie breaks her own curse. It slowly weakens as she grows stronger. 

And I love the dog.

Jeez, I just love this movie all over again. I already want to re-watch it.

No comments: