~*~

~*~

Monday, January 16, 2023

Fluting Again

When Covid started, I had to step back from band and aikido. Indoor group activities. 

Band restarted about a year ago. But you had to wear these weird masks that fit over your instrument. I can't breathe in a mask! I wouldn't have been able to play. Then last semester, they lifted the mask restriction. but I was still uneasy about being in a room full of people blowing on instruments. Plus I had the Peru trip prep that sucked up all my free time. 

This semester, I'm finally going back. Tomorrow, in fact.

I've been kinda slacking on flute. I've definitely played, but recently I more or less abandoned it. I think because of all the prep for Peru and everything. I didn't play for months. And then I was afraid how bad I would sound when I picked up my flute again, so I stalled even more. I couldn't remember fingerings for scales or familiar tunes. But finally, with just a couple weeks until the new band semester, I put my flute together and played. 

(Waka turning his flute into a lightsaber. Freaking awesome, ma cherie)
 

Muscle memory is an amazing thing. It was like I'd never left. I've never really been able to remember the fingerings for scales or tunes. When I start playing, it comes. If I try to think about the notes, I can't do it. 

Though it will probably take some practice to get that fast work smooth again. You need to keep up on it to stay skilled.

Now I just have to find out how to fit aikido back in. How did I ever have time for all of it? I didn't. I just didn't have free time @_@

No comments: