~*~

~*~

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

YANovCon 2023

I went to YANovCon this year again. It's always so inspiring to hear the writers talk. They have amazing stories, and it also makes me want to write (I took some notes of the highlights, and typed them up here so I could catch up later. And then the website decided to wipe out every word on the post. I'll see what I can remember since the event happened a few weeks ago). 

This year's theme was how family shapes your identity. The authors had a lot of touching personal stories. Like how one of them as a teenager finally told his mom that he was gay. His mom stormed out of the restaurant, left him there and didn't talk to him for months. And today, she'd leading pride parades. Even if things start off bad, people can change for the better and learn to accept.

I always love getting to talk to the authors after. Even if it's just a few words. Bill Konigsberg signed his book for me. James Brandon gave me writing encouragement. And I think it was Sarah Kuhn who I started talking to about Turning Red, because we liked how they did Ming, the mom. Sarah Kuhn been talking about the portrayal of tiger moms, and how they deserved to have proper character - not just be stereotypes. Ming is a amazing example of that.

Though she's kinda the main antagonist in the movie, I like her a lot. She can be quirky, and she really does care. Even if it's not manifesting in a great way. 

(I had all these author names written down before. I think these are the right people!)

No comments: