~*~

~*~

Monday, February 17, 2014

Let me reaaaaad

(I'm writing a blog post instead of writing my literature review. Heheh).
Now that I have class again, I'm reading through books much faster that I was before.
Seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it?
Not really. Because I have tons of time on the train, and a few very large gaps between classes. Since my laptop's too heavy to haul to school, and it's annoying having to sign up to use computers (and I don't know the password to Dad's new office computer) I generally fill most of that time by reading. And my eyes get very blurry after a couple hours of staring at little words.
I've been finishing nearly a book a week. O__O
Except for one problem. One of my teachers said I should read as many environmentlly-themed books as I can, as background for my big project.
So, instead of being able to read all the books living in my closet... I gotta go get new books from the library and read those instead, even if I don't particularly care about them.
Sigggghhhh.
Except I'm still sneaking in my own books here and there.

Maybe I should talk about books. Considering this is supposed to be a writing blog, I don't talk about books very often. Let's see.
The book I started the semester with was the second book in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. The first book was better. But the landscapes he described for Perelandra were fascinating. I'd love to go there. The first book in the series can actually be used as an example for my project, since it had a kind of evironmental theme.
I read the third book in the Bloody Jack series. It's a pretty good series. I used to think they were slow to read (I I must have been in the middle of Maximum Ride at the time). But some of the more recnet books I've read have been really truly slow. And now Bloody Jack doesn't seem slow at all. Heheh. At one point I read the book for 2 hours straight. I swear I thought I was her for about a minute after I stopped, feeling about as nervous as Jackie felt. Whoo, way to get sucked into a book. @_@ That hasnt' happened in a really long time. At least, not to that degree.
Then I read a true story about a dog named Skeezer that lived and "worked" at a facility with troubled children. There was some cool stuff in that book. I literally read the entire book in a single break between classes.
Hoot. I saw the movie a while ago, and I'll rent it again to compare it to the book. It's a fun book. Even more so since I got to see real burrowing owls in the wild. ^-^ It's the third one I've read from this author, Hiaasen. They're good for my project since they're young adult books with environmental themes. I have one more of his to read, which I'll probably do soon. It's one of the many living in my closet.
And the book I just finished on the train today, The Word for World is Forest by LeGuin. I think Avatar stole a ton of stuff from this book. I wish we got a better sense of what the furry green guys looked like. (I bet Reein's cuter XD )

No comments: