~*~

~*~

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

So Stressful to Know

I'm actually in the middle of 2 good books right now, which is a rare treat.
But the thing about both of these books is that the main character is incredibly stressful to follow.
First we have Jackie Faber, in Mississippi Jack (from a series called Bloody Jack, which I think I'll write a blog post about).

And second, we have Kvothe, from The Name of the Wind.

(DA link)

Both of these guys never seem to keep out of trouble for long. It seems like they would be incredibly stressful people to know, for their friends, and for people reading about them in a book.
Over the course of a couple days, there were several instances where I went "OH MY GAAAWD, NOOO! Don't do it." TT^TT
Man, these books have an impresive way of keeping the stakes high, and breaking your heart with every threat to the stakes.
It's the kind of thing that really drives me crazy, and impresses me at the same time. Stop tormenting me so much! Waaaaah!

I wonder if I need to improve the suspense in my writing. I should ask around.

It's easy to go overboard though. The end of Bolt made fun of this. There's so much completely crazy stuff going on all on top of each other, so in the end all of it seems completely unimportant. And the readers lose interest.
Good suspense drags readers on. Intense suspense drives the reader crazy while still dragging them through, gasping and sweating.
No suspense, or too much lame suspense, chases people away.


And I just went to look for pictures of Kvothe. Oh maaan, there's so much amazing art of him. O__O
He must be a very loved character.
So, after a long art distraction, I return to finish this post.
And I'm definitely going to write a post about The Name of the Wind, once I finish the book.

(DA link)

No comments: