~*~

~*~

Friday, June 26, 2015

Dinosaurs and Dogs

I just realized something about the new Jurassic World movie - a way it parallels to my graduate story. So I'll talk about it a bit.
I liked the movie a lot. Especially how they managed to include some things that I thought were lacking in the other films. What they did with the veloceraptors, for example.
the movie was rather predictable (or at least I could figure out all the big twists before they were revealed). And the kids didn't seem to have a significant role. They seemed to be there simply because there have been kids in all the Jurassic Park movies. It would have been nice if they had accomplished something significant. As opposed to only point out that "we need more teeth."

My favorite part was with the velocaraptors, and Owen. I really liked Owen, because he just really seemed to get things. He understood what others didn't. A lot of this was rather obvious. But I think my favorite part of this was when the kids are at the raptor pen and they ask if the raptors are safe. And he says that no, they are not safe.
That says so much, even about zoos and wildlife in captivity. You can raise wild animals, lions and bears, to behave themselves around people. But they are still wild animals. They do not have hundreds of years of domesitaction, and if you do the wrong thing, you can set off their instincts. So, no matter how much you train a wild animal, no matter how tame them seem to be, that does not necessarily make it safe. There are some animals that you simply cannot let your guard down when they're nearby. Even if they are attached to you. This may simpley be because they don't know their own strength.
I think I also liked that part a lot because I have something very similar in my Ashes story. Ashlyn has a pack of dogs. And one of them is NOT safe. She can never let her guard down around him. But at the same time, he keeps them all safe.

And this poster is freaking awesome (They have a few really cool posters, actually).


This poster probably shows my favorite part of the movie.
(And it's also a bit like Ashlyn with her dogs!)

No comments: