~*~

~*~

Saturday, June 6, 2015

For the First Time in 37 Years

I'm not one to watch sports.
I enjoy playing them with friends, but I don't understand the fun in watching other people play them.
I'm not sure if horse racing is an exception. Considering I watch it for the horses, not the people.
But I don't even watch horse races very much, except for three times a year. I watch the triple crown races: The Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes.
If a horse wins all three of these races, they have won the coveted Triple Crown.
To give you a sense of how hard this is, only eleven horses have accomplished this since the early 1900's.
Some of the most famous Triple Crown winners are Secretariat, who now has his own movie, and War Admiral who's race against Seabiscuit was the stuff of legend (Seabiscuit is a great movie. you should watch it).
Dad likes to watch these three races on TV, and I watch them too. And there have been several times where a horse has won the first two races, making us very excited for the third. But I was always disappointed.
The last Triple Crown winner was 37 years ago.

Until today. Because now there are 12 winners.
Today American Pharoah won the Belmont Stakes, making him the first winner in my lifetime.
It was an amazing race. American Pharoah stayed in the lead for the entire track. And he won by a huge margin.

No comments: