~*~

~*~

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Banned

So, for the longest time, I was curious about the Disney movie Song of the South.
Which is banned in America.
The characters and songs are still in Disneyland's Splash Mountain, so I always wanted to know where they came from, and their story.


I heard mixed reasons for why it was banned. Someone told me that it was because Song of the South had crows that were supposed to be like African American people. Which made no sense at all, because Dumbo had exactly the same thing, and it wasn't banned.
There aren't any crows in Song of the South, by the way.
But even after watching it, I still don't understand why it was banned. I mean, it takes place during a certain era in history, but that doesn't seem like a reason to ban a movie.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm naive. I know at least one instance where I said something, having no idea that it was considered an insult.
But was Song of the South really banned just because of the era it takes place in? Or am I missing something?

By the way, you can see all of the animated segments online. It's mostly the live action stuff that isn't anywhere. There was a lot less animation than I thought there would be.

Since I didn't grow up with this movie, I didn't get super attached to it. I thought it was good. I like Uncle Remus a lot. He's cool.
I was super excited to see an old Disney cartoon for the first time. I'd seen all of the other original Disney cartoon movies when I was a kid, so I didn't really remember my first experience with them. It's different when you've grown up with it.

No comments: