~*~

~*~

Friday, October 27, 2017

Reading a millioon times over

When a writer says that they have done ten (or 80) revisions of their work, I wonder what they mean. Have they entirely re-written the entire project that many times? Or is that the number of times they've read through it and fixed anything that needed fixing? Even if that's only a small percentage of the writing.
And then of course there are some parts of the story that you edit more than others (The first chapter is notorious for being over-edited).

I do think I need to take a break from Katani soon. I'm getting kind of burned out about editing this.
My last in-depth rewrite took most of the summer. I had a page of notes - filled front and back - with comments that I wanted to think about and address.
The problem is with that many comments it's easy to forget about some of them.
What I've found myself doing is picking one of my comments, and then scanning through the entire story with just that one comment in mind.
It's tedious and time-consuming, but I think it's working. Since I'm only thinking about one problem, I can figure out the best places to work it into the story.

No comments: