~*~

~*~

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Writing a Cartoon

So, I'm a sucker for animations. There are plenty of live-action movies I love, but I tend to get more excited about animated stuff.

Sometimes very excited.
Every now and then, I think that I want to write a scene, character, or story like one that I just watched. This definitely happened with Coco, but it's happened with other stuff too.

And then I tell myself to stop being dumb. Because a book is not a cartoon. They don't work the same way. Even if I were to write an amazing scene of Hector's shenanigans, it would not bring the same reaction as the animation would.
And that's how it should be.
After all, one of the most amazing things about books is that they give the reader the opportunity to build part of the world in their own minds.

Pus, stuff that is hilarious when it's animated doesn't really wok when it's written. Reading about crazy dance moves is not the same as watching them happen.

Sure, there are ways to make it hilarious in a book. But, it has to be done differently, and it will be a different kind of hilarious.

I when I think "I want to make something like Coco!" what I really want is to affect people as much as I've been affected. Whether it's laughter, tears, or mesmerized, uh, mesmerization? Word of the day. Mesmerization.

No comments: